It has played host to a pope and is the workplace of prostitutes.Colfax Avenue is a 26.8-mile stretch of salvation and sin, depression and revival, past and present.It is a concrete vein that pumps life into three cities. While names and faces have changed since Colfax first showed up on maps 132 years ago as a six-block street across from the yet-to-be-imagined Capitol building, the avenue has been a living example of Colorado's past, present and future. People live and die on the avenue, create poetry and speak hate, get drunk and find sobriety, prey on others and pray for themselves. The spectrum of life envelops the avenue, gives it an essence like no other in the state. So that being said, here's 107 things to do on the greatest street in the world!
1. See a concert at the Fillmore Auditorium.2. Eat a Sugar Steak at Bastiens.
3. Buy legal weed.
4. Get a stiff drink and listen to the Greatful Dead at Sancho's Broken Arrow.
5. Give a homeless guy a dollar, your extra taco or pocket shot of Fireball.
6. See a Dub Step show at the Ogden Theatre, the walls literally shake!
7. Go through Black Barts Cave at Casa Bonita. (eat somewhere else before you go...LOL)
8. Get a VooDoo Doughnut at 2am.
9. Run the Colfax Marathon.
10. Go Skiing at Winter Park/ Mary Jane. (yes, Colfax is hwy 40!)
11. Rent a bike.
12. Steal someone's "Car to Go".
13. Pick up a piece of trash.
14. Eat 2 chili dogs at Steve's Snappin' Dogs.
15. Go to a festival in Civic Center Park.
17. Get your car towed.
18. Eat at Pete's Kitchen between 2-4am.
19. Loose a shoe.
20. Eat tacos and drink Tecate in a can at Mezcal.
21. Take a free tour of the Colorado State Capitol building.
22. Go to the Tattered Cover.
23. Use the drive-thru at Scooter Liquors.
24. Hug a bar tender at Blush & Blu.
25. Eat Sheppard's Pie and drink Guiness at the Irish Snug.
26. Make an illegal U-Turn.
27. People watch.
28. Get the "Mass Confusion" at the Denver Diner the morning after a drunken night.
29. Get caught on camera.
30. Trip on the broken side walk.
31. Hang out at the Lost Lake Lounge on a Saturday night.
32. Check out some sweet graffiti.
33. Try and find a hotel without bed bugs.
34. Walk in the Gay Pride Parade.
35. Grab a shot and a beer at the Satire Lounge.
36. Get a Tattoo.
37. Check out all the old school neon signs on bars and hotels.
38. Play Old School video games at the "1UP".
39. Go to a Denver Broncos game. (play-off game would be best!)
40. Sweat your ass of at a punk show at the Lions Lair.
41. Buy a vinyl record at Angelo's CD's.
42. Visit a friend in jail at Denver County.
43. Go to the Fetish Ball at the Diamond Cabaret.
44. Look both ways before you cross it.
45. Spend 20 minutes at the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception and get forgiven before you finish this list.
46. Kick back for an hour with a premium cigar at Capitol Cigars.
47. Take a tour at the Denver Mint.
48. Eat a Tijuana Dog at Billy's Gourmet Hot Dog's.
49. Go to all 20 7-11's on Colfax and still not find a Slurpee machine that works.
50. Grab some totally used gear from the ARC.
51. Two words: Mon Chalet.
52. Get an over-priced Burger at City Grille.
53. Do Laundry at Smiley’s.
54. Check out the oldest McDonalds in the state at Colfax & Kingston.
55. Eat fried chicken for breakfast at the Denver Biscuit Company.
56. Grab flowers from Country Club Flowers…best way to apologize for all your Colfax Shenanigans.
57. Coffee at Hooked on Colfax.
58. When you’re at the Bluebird Theatre, tell someone that it used to be a XXX movie theatre.
59. Burritos at Emilio’s.
60. Buy 24K gold rolling papers at Freaky’s.
61. Fried chicken, Collard Greens & Banana pudding at Kirk’s Soul Kitchen.
62. Buy some lights and soil at Grofax and grow your own weed at home!
63. Get the Paella at Solera.
64. Go to a happy hour party on the roof top of the GLBT building.
65. Go to a “Miss Colfax” competition.
66. See a car accident.
67. Get a classic feel for Colfax, Order the Buckaroo at Davies Chuck Wagon Diner.
68. Enjoy some Nob, Nob Hill Inn that is…one of the most infamous dive bars on the strip.
69. Close the night out at Kinga’s Lounge.
70. Get two caffeinated cups at the Hot Chick A Latte.
71. See what an $18 glass of beer taste like at the Cheeky Monk.
72. Get in a Soccer Hooligan fight at Streets of London Pub.
73. See an indie flick at the SIE Film Center.
74. Order the Beer of the Month at the Abbey Tavern.
75. Buy a Longboard at 303 Boards.
76. Shoot a belt fed machine gun at Machine Gun Tours.
77. Enjoy a barrel fire under Colfax and I-25.
78. Sleep with the pigeons at Civic Center Park.
79. Eat a Calzone from D.P. Dough at 3am.
80. Get a Mohawk at the Bad Kittie Salon.
81. Play BINGO at the Goosetown Tavern.
82. Party where the Rock Bar used to be.
83. Get your dog a bone at Green Buddies.
84. Catch a fish in the Platte River and sell it for beer money.
85. Get a cowboy hat from Corral Western Wear and 2pac shirt from GENX.
86. Puff some Hookah at Pita Grill and Hookah. (slip them a Lincoln and you’ll get booze)
87. Show your pride at Charlie’s.
88. Hug a MANnequin at the Xbar.
89. Find everything you need to make bad decisions at Capital Hill Market.
90. Bootleg at Prohibition.
91. Hit rock bottom.
92. Freestyle Rap Battle at the bus stop near Park Ave.
93. Laugh at everything but the comedy at Squire Lounge.
94. Learn the Craft at Herbs & Art.
95. Punch someone in the face at Edge Boxing.
96. Practice your second amendment rights at Scottie’s Guns.
97. Straight out of Compton… Mart.
98. Motel 9…They won’t keep the lights on.
99. Check out a performance at the Aurora Fox Theatre & Vintage Theatre.
100. Have a sicknic at General’s Park.
101. Take a canoe up Toll Gate Creek.
102. Get your towed car back from M&M Impounding.
103. Buy a sack full of root vegetables from Marczyk Fine Foods.
104. Pass out on the 18th hole of Springhill Golf Course.
105. Ride the Alpine Slide at Heritage Square.
106. Grab a coffee and contemplate life at Cafe Max.
107. Steal the “Colfax” street sign and hang it in your garage (if you did all 106 things…you deserve it!)