|West Colfax Trolley in 1949|
West Colfax Avenue was originally connected to central Denver by streetcar–the viaduct came later in the early 1900′s. That is how people traveled to Elitches on Sloan's Lake, for example. The new light rail currently under construction re-establishes this important connection and the ease of commuting from West Colfax. The image above was taken in 1949 in front of 4500 West Colfax Avenue, the current location for the West Colfax Business Improvement District.
|Colfax Trolley on Capitol Hill, early 1900's|
|Trolley sculpture in the Aurora Arts District on Colfax Avenue|
|Plaque in Civic Center Park|
Marker is in Denver, Colorado, on West Colfax Ave near Broadway, in the corner stand of the stone fence around Civic Center Park. Location. 39° 44.398′ N, 104° 59.282′ W.
Today, more major changes are coming to West Colfax. Two of the biggest changes will occur from 2011-13: the opening of three new FasTracks West Corridor stations (as shown both individually below and in context with bicycle connections to Auraria, Lodo and downtown) and St. Anthony’s departure and redevelopment of its 19 acre site. The West Colfax Business Improvement District is working hard to ensure that changes will benefit current residents and increase the diversity of businesses and incomes in the neighborhood.
Maybe someday the trolleys will return to East Colfax...